From:
Ann Davis <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Sat, 15 Jan 1994 22:54:47 -0500
It still looks real bleak in Kansas. Mike had a hearing regarding his job
this past week, but nothing was really decided. The sheriff said he would
have to "think about it." Rita is asking for a new hearing because an
appeal would not permit any new evidence. The only evidence that was
allowed to be given at their first trial in their own behalf was Troy Lynn
Eckert's testimony, which at that time was not considered as expert.
However, since then the state has seemed to change its mind and is
admitting her as an expert witness, since she has a history with animal
welfare and local Humane Societies and SPCA's. A new hearing would allow
introduction of new witnesses and evidence, in which case we could inundate
them. Dr. Jim Gaines has offered to fly out to testify, along with Dr.
Freddie Ann Hoffmann. I hope this happens soon because with everything
their attorney does their legal bill keeps rising.

I spent all day Monday on Capitol Hill with LIFE's Congressional Liaison,
Kimberly Murray (former staffer for a Hill lobbyist), and so far the
response has not been great. Kimberly is continuing to follow this up and
we will shove it down their throats if we have to.

On the legal fund issue, LIFE has so far collected over $500 from
individuals and clubs, and we're contacting more and trying to get the word
out as fast as we can.

Please keep calling the McDowells or send them cards or donations if you
can. I wholeheartedly agree with Anonymous Poster <[log in to unmask]> who said
everyone in the FML should
give at least $20. We (Acme Ferret Company) are sending $100. By the time
this is over, the legal bills could come to $10,000.  The address again is
Mike & Rita McDowell, 109 West 4th St., Onaga KS 66521.  The phone number
is 913-889-7180.

Ann Davis.