From:
Pam VanOverloop <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 May 1997 10:41:52 -0400
Is there such thing as a semi-rescue?

I've been "visiting" a big MF male sable (at least he's bigger than any of
my Petersen boys) for several months at my favorite pet shop.  He had been
returned because he was a "biter".  Kits would come and go in the store, but
it seemed the big guy would be there forever.  I really didn't NEED another
ferret, but when I would come in and play with him it was getting harder and
harder to put him back in his pen.  Finally I asked the manager if -
hypothetically - the shop owner would consider a trade.  Would they consider
taking a litter of new baby chinchillas in trade for him?  The chins
wouldn't be weaned for another month, and well, if he wasn't sold by
then......

Tonight I dropped in for some fish and of course lifted the big guy out of
his pen and gave him some luvin' and was walking around the store with him.
The manager came up to me with a big smile and said "You can take him home
NOW if you want".  I was shocked - maybe she had misunderstood my offer -
but she just had me sign a paper agreeing to bring in the chins next month.
I think the owner was relieved to get rid of the big guy (and I'm sure he'll
make a nice profit on the chinchillas) but I know I got the better end of
the bargain!

He has been home with me now for 4 hours and has been dancing and dooking
and generally enjoying himself.  I know there are challenges ahead -
integrating him into the group, introducing him to Totally Ferret, litter
box training, etc - and I know it will be a while before I trust him around
my children, but I still feel good about the whole thing!  Wish me luck ;-)

PamV with Rascal,Snookums,CocoaPuff,BlondieBoy,Dickens,Toes and
introducing - Bruno