From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 17 Apr 2004 13:22:29 -0400
>Just my 2 cents worth here.  It was mentioned in the last FML that
>excessive thirst was NOT a symptom of adrenal disease.  It may not be a
>"typical symptom", but I know there are cases in which it is a symptom.
>One of my babies, Pooh, has had problems with adrenal disease a number
>of times, first the right adrenal, then the left, then later the right
>one "grew back".  Each and every time his adrenal disease came back,
>he would drink lots and lots of water, and of course urinate massive
>amounts, (the 2 do sort of go together).

Interesting.

Yes, some do get unusual symptoms.  In the case of our Seven of Six each
time she had it she would pin down our youngest ferret and urinate on his
head and shoulders repeatedly.  Definitely out of the norm for ferrets in
general as an adrenal growth symptom but perfectly normal for her and
maybe for some few others.

One reason for my mentioning the diabetes connection (since drinking a
lot is quite typical with diabetes and some other things) is that this
is a ferret who has had on and off pancreatic symptoms before.  It is
possible that the ferret has something else involving the pancreas --
other than insulinoma which was checked for before -- which is causing
blood glucose swings.  My inclination (as a non-vet) would be to ask the
vet about having the ferret stay in the hospital and have several blood
tests under different times and conditions with in-house readings.  It
might not hurt to do a blood insulin level test, either, and to consider
other tests.

BTW, ferret blood is big at gobbling up sugar if it sits around so
sent-out readings read lower than in-house and the longer it takes the
lower they read.

Mary, while I agree that it is good to be cautious, there is not evidence
that petroleum jelly is dangerous so I have to disagree with the
contention that it must be dangerous by definition.  Yes, it would
be good to have more information specifically in relation to ferrets
(true for so many, many things), but definitive statements don't seem
warranted.

Cremation: there isn't much ash.  As has been said earlier by many if it
is ground finely there will be "sand" of ground bone, it not then there
will be bone pieces.

Our's charged us something like $80 to cremate two who died close to
each other together.  They came back to us in the little tiny plastic
bag (about the size of a small mouse) in a lovely wooden box with ornate
brass clasps.  This crematorium didn't grind so there were bone pieces
which didn't bother us since we already knew about cremains.  When
Asling died years later we buried Scooter and Sevie's ashes with her
because those three were always linked.  We've put the box to other use
and looking at it brings back happy memories of all three.

I think it is good that this topic is being discussed; that way people
know that there are cremains and won't be shocked encountering them in
their crematorium doesn't grind or doesn't grind much.  I don't know
about the current grinding machines, but I've heard long ago of some
places not being inclined toward grinding for humans because they
increase the chance of having a very little of another mixed in, though
I suspect that there is always a very tiny bit of that for animals (and
maybe for humans, given the chimneys and things on the sides), anyway,
given the rising and settling during combustion.

I don't personally think that either -- grinding or not grinding -- is
wrong, just different.

It would be good if crematoria which haven't done so have a little sheet
which people can read beforehand to know what to expect since the popular
media version which might be expected has about as much relationship to
reality as their depictions of computers' abilities, "typical" homes,
"typical" clothing, "typical' appearances, etc.