From:
"Raisins From Heaven Ferret Rescue & Sanctuary in Hernando, MS" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Sep 2009 15:27:02 -0400
Good Morning All!

Just wanted to thank everyone who took their time to email me about
ferrets in a Mississippi classroom. Due to my shelter duties and my
work hours, I am unable to answer everyone individually.

The legal issues are being addressed here at my office (work for a
law firm) and I am going to meet with the school teacher on Saturday
to further discuss the possibility of her having two ferrets in her
classroom. It has been decided that fostering is not in the best
interest of the ferrets but she had initially wanted to adopt the boys
for herself as her own pets and taking them to class with her during
the day was just going to be a routine of daily life for the fuzzits.
You have to appreciate her honesty from the jump as she did not have
to tell me about her wanting to take them to her classroom every day -
she offered that up right away. I was the one who initiated the foster
possibility as opposed to the adoption of the two boys. I guess I
thought it would be a more legal way to ensure their safe and expedited
return to me should the whole situation prove to be unsuccessful. I
could pull them back immediately based on the terms of the foster
agreement.

The school board knows about the request and supports it as well as
the principal of that school. She teaches at the high school level.

She is also a former animal-rights activist who has a good clean record
and comes highly recommended. She has had ferts in the past and has
proven to me that she is well-intentioned and is a great home prospect.
She has a ferret-wise vet and possesses a good level of knowledge about
ferrets and proper ferret care.

With all of the above, the jury is still out. I guess the only
lingering issue with me is their safety at the hands of the kids in her
class. Or, perhaps I should restate....I am concerned that an accident
could occur. Even though my shelter is overflowing, as with most all
other shelters in America today, and want to adopt out as many kids as
I can to good and safe homes.....but somehow I have this feeling....I
can't shake it and I always go with my gut feeling.

But I digress. Just wanted to again thank everyone for their "two
cents" and it was very much appreciated.

Maren Doshier
Founder/President
Raisins From Heaven Ferret Rescue & Sanctuary
Hernando, MS