From:
FerretsFirst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 25 Feb 2006 13:51:20 -0500
I just want to give everyone a heads-up about CEP testing at Blue Cross
Animal Hospital.  After a couple of weeks without a CEP testing
facility, I had a large number of ferrets to be tested.  A very ferret
knowledgeable volunteer and I tested all the new arrivals, which belonged
to several groups, and tested the volunteer's ferrets.  When the results
came back I was alarmed to have 4 positive results.  Not only was this
a lot of positives for our region but the ferrets were from different
groups quarantined in separate areas and one was from my volunteer's
business.  Her business all previously tested negative.  I called Blue
Cross and spoke to Dr. Blau regarding the results and my concerns.
Dr. Blau was very receptive informative and interested in the unusual
results.  Let me also mention that his facility has been testing minks
for over 10 years and they are quite experienced with the test, with the
animals being tested and with the reliability of the tests.  He offered
to retest the specimens using two different CEP 'plates'.  The second set
of results showed that 2 of the previously mentioned 'positives' were
indeed negative on both 'plates', while 2 ferrets remained positive.  The
two positives were the only ones from the same group so these results
were reasonable.

In another conversation with Dr. Blau (he is readily available to answer
questions and offer information), he recommended that I test the ferrets
again in 6 weeks because there are factors which affect the results such
as some acute illnesses and some medications.  For those of you who use
the Blue Cross facility, please don't be alarmed if you get positive
results.  Contact Dr. Blau with your concerns and he will retest them.
In researching information about CEP tests, several sources mention false
positives being caused by other factors.  False negatives are rare to
impossible.  The equipment used by Blue Cross may be more sensitive to
these factors.  I am very comfortable with Blue Cross for continued
testing and I am confident that Dr. Blau and his team want to provide
quality results.

Robin
FerretFirst, a rescue and an attitude.