From:
Holly Gorrell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 24 Nov 2001 23:04:34 -0500
I was visiting with a friend tonight and asked to play with her ferret,
Sprite, which I also had not seen for a while.  When I took her from the
cage, the first thing I noticed was a "skin condition" with red patches
which she was scratching.  Then I noticed the classic "adrenal gland"
balding on the rump.  The poor little thing was also extremely skinny -
I assume from the adrenal gland disease, but her energy level was still
good.  Unfortunately, while my friend means well, she is not nearly as
educated on ferret health issues as she should be.  I informed her that
it looked like Sprite needed adrenal gland surgery, and she told me there
is no way she can afford to get that done.

The owner of said ferret was diagnosed with lupus shortly after acquiring
the ferret.  Her health has been very bad to the point that she can no
longer work, and often sleeps about as much as most ferrets.  So when she
says she cannot afford to get the surgery done, I am sure that is probably
true.  I don't think she would have adopted Sprite had she known she was
about to get so sick herself.  In fact, I don't know for sure but I get
the impression that she does not feel well enough to give Sprite the time
and attention she needs in addition to lack of money for the surgery,
which brings me to the point.

I feel so bad for this little one, but my babies have undergone 2
surgeries this year, and I was out of work for a good portion of this
year, so I cannot afford to pay for this surgery either.  It breaks my
heart to see her sick though.  When I picked her up, she immediately
started giving me kisses on the check.  I almost started crying.

I feel a little odd asking this, but would anyone on the FML be willing
to donate anything to help get this surgery done?  I would be willing to
donate what I can afford, which is not enough for the surgery, but every
little bit helps.  Or, would anyone want to adopt this this little girl?
I feel bad asking this knowing that so many shelters are overflowing with
sick ferrets already, but I don't know what else to do, and I feel I must
try to do something.  I also intend to ask around among my soft-hearted
friends to see if anyone is willing to help.

If anyone would be intersted in adopting this little girl, the location
is Greenville, SC.  She is a very sweet little girl.  This is her second
home, and I hate to see her shuffled to yet another home, but at the same
time I am pretty sure her current owner is not physically able to give her
the attention she needs.  She used to have a companion that she was very
bonded to, but he passed away.  So I think she would get along well with
other ferrets.  She does not bite, but I am told she will nip ankles every
once in a while to get attention.  I would consider taking her myself,
except that I know I cannot currently afford to get the surgery done
either.  I think she is about 5-6 years old, which I hope is still young
enough to be a surgical candidate.

If anyone would be willing to donate anything to this cause or to
adopt this little one, please contact me at [log in to unmask] or
(864) 268-9604.  No flames please, as this is not my ferret, and I am
trying to do whatever I can to help her.

Holly
Tigger & Pooh