From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Jan 2002 21:14:44 -0500
>Being that Chewy is no longer on the Pediapred, his Vet recommended
>Brewers Yeast in his diet but I recall seeing a warning in the
>Miamieferret website stating that Chromium lowers Blood Glucose levels.
>See caution here: http://www.miamiferret.org/fhc/elixer.htm
>
>Is this is true?

Yes, this is true.  I sent the following directly to Mary, and with Dr.
Murray's permission, I'm posting his comments on chromium/brewer's yeast
usage with hypoglycemic ferrets so everyone can benefit.  This originally
appeared in the FAIML (Ferret Adrenal/Insulinoma Mailing List)...

   ---------------------------

From veterinarian, Jerry Murray:

It sounds like there is still some confusion about chromium, how it
works, and what "helps to regulate blood glucose levels " actually means.
Chromium is an essential trace element.  Chromium supplementation is often
recommended for people and pets (dogs and cats) with diabetes.  Diabetics
are basically the opposite of insulinoma ferrets because diabetics have a
high blood glucose (sugar) level.  Chromium helps to lower their high
blood glucose levels.  This is where the phrase "helps to regulate blood
glucose levels" comes from.  Chromium also has insulin like action that
helps to increase muscle mass and decrease body fat and weight.  This is
also a good thing for diabetics, and the reason chromium is often used as
a weight loss agent.  On the other hand, the goal of medical therapy for
an insulinoma ferret is to raise the blood glucose level.  Clearly it
does not make sense to give chromium that will lower an already low blood
glucose level, nor does it make sense to give chromium that has insulin
like properties when there is already too much insulin being produced by
the insulinoma.  Remember medical therapy is a combination of 3 things:
DIET, PEDIAPRED, and PROGLYCEM.

The DIET needs to be a high quality, high meat-based ferret food or kitten
food.  Cooked meats (beef, chicken, turkey, fish), cooked eggs, Gerber's
chicken baby food, Hill's A/D and/or Eukanuba's feline maximum calorie
can all be used as supplements, treats, and when the ferret is anorectic.
A/D, baby food, and maximum calorie can be syringed fed when needed.  The
extra protein provides both amino acids and a substrate for glucose
production by the liver (gluconeogenesis).  Perhaps the ideal diet would
have (on a dry matter basis) 55-60% protein, 20-30% fat, and <10% carbo-
hydrates.  This is close to what "Bob's chicken gravy" has.  However I
totally disagree with adding brewer's yeast or chromium to it!

PEDIAPRED helps to raise blood glucose levels, inhibits utilization of
glucose, and has some antiinsulin activity.  This is why pediapred is the
first medicine used to treat insulinoma ferrets.

PROGLYCEM helps to raise blood glucose levels by lowering the amount of
insulin secreted by the pancreas.  Due to its high cost and bad taste, it
is usually added when pediapred is no longer able to control the blood
glucose levels.

Remember chromium does not raise blood glucose levels.  It lowers the
blood glucose levels, so I would not give it to an insulinoma ferret.

Jerry Murray, DVM

For the ferrets,
Mike

* Michael Janke, [log in to unmask]
* South Florida Ferret Help Line, 305-752-7040
*
* Website:  http://www.miamiferret.org
* Adrenal/Insulinoma web site: http://www.ferrethealth.info
*