From:
"Bossart, Richard K" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 May 1998 09:41:11 -0400
I usually don't get involved in these debates, but couldn't resist getting
in one comment.

Only my opinion.

- Breeders offering excess facilities to shelter ferrets is not a conflict
  of interest.
- Shelters performing breeding is a conflict of interest.

If you accept the premise that the term "breeder" is defined as a person or
person who breed to improve characteristics of the ferret; and that
"shelters" are a person or persons who provide temporary homes for ferret
who are no longer wanted, lost, or can no longer be kept by the original
owner, then I think my statements are true.  Of course both definitions
exclude the "backyard" breeder or shelter who are in it strictly for
potential profit rather than for the well being of the ferret.

A breeder, then, who offers shelter still retains their goal of improving
the breed.  By offering shelter, they are not in conflict with that goal,
and in fact, every shelter ferret they place potentially takes away from
the sell of one of their kits, for the betterment of the shelter ferret.

On the other hand, a shelter that breeds ferrets is no longer focused solely
on providing temporary homes for ferrets, but must divide their resources
and efforts in not only the placement of unwanted or found ferrets, but also
in the sale of their kits.  Every kit sold potentially removes the placement
of a shelter ferret into a permanent home, taking away from their mission as
a shelter.

Dick B.
R. Bossart