From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Jun 2001 15:37:19 -0400
Chun Liu wrote:
>I don't know for sure and I am not sure at all, but my ferret has 3 to 5
>short, quick sneezes and it will happen several times a day, I donno what
>causes that but I am very very worried, the only thing I can think of is
>flu, but I don't know if anything will cause that.  I got the Ferret RX
>from Marshall Farm which reduce sneezing, and my baby still sneeze.
>Please help me out, I am so worry about her.
>
>Its been about 3 days, please tell me anything that might cause it and any
>way to kill it (if I can without a vet since I am on a tight budget now)
>
>thank you so much.

If exposed to influenza they can catch it, though they don't catch colds.
Avoid any over the counter medications since some of those have killed
ferrets (See past FHL cross-posts on this topic.).  A bit of steam and
warmed fluids can help relieve excess mucus, but if you encounter coughing
that worries you then get the ferret to a vet in case a secondary bacterial
infection has begun in the lower respiratory tract.

There are many other reasons that they sneeze, though.

Sometimes they just have gotten dust up their noses.

Sometimes they are around wood products like cedar that irritate their
respiratory tracts and can do worse.

Sometimes they are using a good sneeze to force some scented oil form the
glands behind their ears to rub over their heads or on something or
someone.  Many also can be easily taught to use a cloth handkerchief just
as they blow into their hands often before "face washing" to also loosen
oil from the glands.