From:
Linda Iroff <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 1 Apr 2000 08:51:59 -0500
Troy Lynn writes:
>Also, I've not heard of a problem of hypoglycemia in cats, has anyone?  So
>changing the Iams formulation from rice to corn doesn't appear to me to be
>beneficial for the animals, whether they are cats or ferrets....

No but cats (and dogs) do get diabetes.  Strangely enough the method and
goal in treating both diabetes (hyperglycemia, high blood sugar) and
insulinoma (hypoglycemia, low blood sugar) is the same, to maintain a
moderate level of glucose in the blood, generally considered about 90-120.
In all cases, this is done by balancing the amount of carbohydrates (which
tend to release sugar quickly) with protein (which tends to release sugar
more slowly).

There is some evidence that diet may play a role in the development of
these diseases.  People, dogs and cats are more likely to get diabetes,
ferrets get insulinoma.  Ferret ancestors did not have carbohydrates in
their diets, so may be more adversely effected by foods that release sugar
quickly.  The goal for everyone I expect is to keep blood sugar at a
moderate level.

At least all this seems to make sense to me.

Linda Iroff