From:
"Gwen M. Daley" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 23 Jun 1996 10:20:07 +0000
Hi again,

Yesterday's FML contained a truly scary piece about a ferret that was
impaled on a spring in a couch.  PLEASE be aware that many types of
furniture contain potentially dangerous springs, tacks, and nails right
where a little one can get to them.  I have the advantage that I got my
ferrets first, and my furniture second - so my house is free of the more
obviously dangerous furniture.  I have two futons on frames (only danger is
to clear the tracks before converting from couch to bed mode), a couch with
a slatted bottom (and a big space beneath!), a large papasan chair (you
know, the big moon chairs found at Pier One), and a couple of comfie chairs
that are flush to the floor.  All tables, cabinets and bookshelves need to
either have a large space beneath, or be flush to the floor.  I also use a
lot of stacking baskets in closets (some on wheels) so that I can easily
retrieve a ferret that has left the designated ferret play zone.  I have two
general rules when it comes to buying furniture:

1.  If there is a space underneath, it should have at least 6 inches of
clearance from the floor, and there should be absolutely no place underneath
that a ferret can crawl into and not be seen - and maybe sat upon (e.g.
inside a couch's springs).  Otherwise, the furniture must be flush to the
floor.

2.  The back of the furniture must either be free of "hidey-holes" or must
fit perfectly flush to the wall.  I almost lost a little one to an ersatz
bookshelf that did not meet this requirement.  I prefer open backed
bookshelves - it's just easier to see through them.

In general, if you have a choice, make your furniture work for you - don't
help the little ones dissapear!  Most of my furniture came from thrift
stores and yard sales (I cleaned and restored it where necessary), and I'm
always on the look out for ferret freindly furniture.  TTFN...

Gwen