From:
Matthew Colmer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Aug 2000 10:49:10 -0500
My albino Osborn was diagnosed back in September with insulinoma.  He
started on 1.25 mg of Pred and moved to 2.5 per day when he slipped a
bit.  Early on I used to give him small bits of 8in1 ferret treats with no
reaction.  However, when he moved up to two doses a day of Pred, giving him
any thing with processed sugar caused a mild reaction.  Since March, he has
not had anything processed in terms of sugar.  The treats he gets now have
natural sugar: bananas, raisins, even blueberries.  But since he has been
on two doses on Pred a day, even accidentally giving him a bit of Nutrical
(heavy in molasses but I'm sure there is some processed sugar in it) has
not caused a reaction.

I would much rather not give him a treat while the others munch on theirs
than risk Osborn having another reaction and letting him have a treat just
so he won't feel left out.  When I do give processed sugar treats, he gets
ferretone.  Otherwise he only gets natural sugar treats.  Give that a try
but check with your vet first.