From:
Dick Bossart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Aug 1996 17:43:23 -0400
Rhonda,

You were concerned that your new ferret kit was to busy to be affectionate.
Sounds about normal to me.  <G> Kits have a new world to explore and they
really get with the exploration.  When we get one in, the first thing they
do is check out the entire home/shelter, then check it out again to see if
they missed anything, then check it out again to see if anything changed
from the first two times.  Generally this goes on for about a year.  <G>

Actually, a real laid back kit is not common.  You'll find a few, but
generally they are in warp mode most of the time they are awake.  After they
reach a year of age or so, they'll slow down enough that they'll start to
seak you out for a tummy rub, a treat, or just to say "hello".  One thing
that might help is when you pick it up, don't let it down just because it
squirm.  Hold it no matter how much it wriggles, until it quits squirming
and lets out a big sigh.  Then give it a little ferretone or favorite treat
and set it down.  It'll learn quickly that it gets treats and gets set down
quicker if it behaves.  Pretty soon, it'll be pestering you to pick it up.
Oh, and another thing.  When you pick it up, don't start playing with it.
Pickup time should be quiet time.  Play time is for on the floor or where
ever, other than in you arms.

Good luck.

Joan had a call today to come up to Bedford, NH to rescue a ferret kit that
was found outside.  Joan rushed up, rescue kit in hand, only to find an
adult ermine.  The woman's cat had caught the ermine.  It had several deep
wounds on its neck.  A quick trip to Dr. Dutton's office followed.  He put
it on antibiotics, and will turn it over to a wildlife rehab. center that he
works with.  After the wound heals, it will be released back into the wild.

A couple of years ago we had a mink rescue.  Now an ermine rescue.  Still no
weasel rescue [he say's while looking for a piece of wood to knock on].

Dick B.