Date:
Fri, 12 Mar 2004 09:00:48 -0600
Howdy!

Even though I'm new to the list (my first post) I feel compelled to
comment.

I can't put into words how sad I fell about the situation described by
Rochelle.  Sorry for the animals, that is!  I'm am so sick of hearing the
sad stories about people not being able to care for their animals.  Use
a little sense people!  They are living creatures and are bound to need
medical care sooner later.  I have had animals all of my life and have
never failed to care for a single one of them.  Three German Shepherds,
seven cats, a hamster, and two ferrets and not one of them EVER went
without proper food and medical care.  Not to mention the hours of human
contact.  They are/were just a bit spoiled.

I understand that things change and not always for the better.  Been
there, done that, was too broke to buy the T-shirt.  In the middle of a
true financial crisis I had a cat with a broken leg.  The vet wanted $700
to do the need procedures.  The cost to put her down was $30.  I was
having enough trouble just putting food on the table.  Ten years later
I'm looking at Callie, now comfortably snoozing on the sofa.  It's called
COMMITMEMT folks.  If you won't (or honestly, truly can't) do what is
right by your animals then don't own them!  Sorry to sound so stern but
this really burns my butt.  I have NEVER let an animal of mine go without
medical care no matter what the cost.  I have had some put down.  BUT,
that was only after all other possibilities were exhausted.  And even
then it was only for the sake of the animal.  I most certainly won't let
them suffer but there is nothing I won't try in order to save them.

Our shelters are full of every type of animal because people 'can't' take
care of them, or are tired of them, or have to move and 'can't take them
along'.  If a situation came up where I couldn't take my pets along then
I'll stay where I am.

If I were close enough I would gladly take the ferret 'off of her hands.'
However I would be doing it for the sake of the ferret, not the people
trying to dump it.  As I live in North Texas it would not be practical.
Most of my pets over the years have been dumped, lost, or neglected.
And, most needed medical care to bring them back to health.

I can only say that my heart truly goes out to all of the sick,
neglected, and just plain unloved animals of the world.  At least the
six I now own will never be in that situation.

Sorry for the vent, folks.  Once in a while I just have to let go.

Best regards,

Fred Schroeder
Home page: http://schroeder-family.us
NRA Life Member

Behold the superfluous.  They are always sick.  They vomit their gall and
call it a newspaper.
Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche   1844-1900