From:
"Bryan H. Hall" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Aug 1996 23:12:33 -0500
More abnormal poops... DAMNIT!

Now both of the ferrets are leaving slimy green poohs in the pan.  I have
cleaned the litterbox and will be taking a sample of pooh that will be in
the pan by morning to a vet near me.  Maybe this is a ray of hope... the
pooh is multi-colored... a bit of it is slimy green, the other bit of it
appears normal.

If it turns out to be ECE, then the ferrets are going straight to the vet
and are going to STAY there until they're cured... I just don't think I am
at home long enough to give them the care they deserve.

For the vets out there, here is a brief history of what has been going on:

Last night (Monday) Cayanne (17 week old sprite) left a totally slimy green
pooh in the pan.  Approximately three days prior, I had introduced a new toy
to the ferrets... a hose similar to that of a dryer's vent.  The day after
the toy came in, I gave my fuzzybutts the run of the den (the cage room).
Today I noticed that Tenaka (17 week old gib) left a multi-colored pooh in
the pan, part normal, part slimy green.  The hose seems clawed, and most
likely some of it was eaten.  Not much, because I can account for most of
the hose.  It's not shredded, just has holes in it now.

Fluid intake is normal, food intake is normal, activity level may be a bit
on the low side, but then that could be a result of them being able to run
around all day.  Pooh VOLUME is normal, just green and slimy.  Again, the
only dietary change has been Iams Adult cat food from Kitten food.  Could
all this be caused by a change in diet?  Would it be better for the fuzzies
to switch back?

I have put both ferrets back in the cage together (I haven't the facilities
to separate them, and I think it too late for that) and will be keeping them
there during the day in order to minimize any foreign material consumption,
and to get them to rest and conserve their strength.

Any and all help would be appreciated, as now that they are both doing this,
I am getting scared.

Fearfully yours,

Bryan Hall