From:
Diane at South Shore Ferret Care <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Nov 2008 21:00:53 +0000
I too have reveled in the recent experiences of the symposium, in fact
I reveled all the way home. Along the way I had an epiphany!

Before I had even unpacked I made a couple of calls to share my idea
for the NEXT SYMPOSIUM.

Please consider joining us in BOSTON for the 2009 International Ferret
Symposium!

We at South Shore Ferret Care would love to be the hosting shelter and
local go-to's.

I checked with April from Totally Ferret and she is indeed thinking of
wedding bells at the symposium and is open to the Boston location. I
sent off an email to Linda for committee consideration and chatted with
Renee.

Apparently I understand that it is a group decision so let me tell you
a little bit of what we have to offer:

BEACHES: Yep, we have plenty of those. Take your pick local beaches
include everything from Boston Harbor to Cape Cod. We have plenty of
lakes and ponds as well as a pool at the South Shore Ferret Care
Shelter location.

ATTRACTIONS: Boston Aquarium, Franklin Park Zoo, Faneuil Hall, Historic
Sites, Harbor and Duck Boat Tours. (Lots of people get married there!!)

Airport: Logan Airport is an international transportation hub from
pretty much ny direction including you folks from Canada. For most of
you folks who attended the recent symposium it's only another hour or
so by plane and a few hours more by car than Pittsburgh).

Hotel: Sheraton Hotel is just a few miles south of the airport in
Braintree. It's right off the major highway. They routinely have events
such as ours, reasonable room rates, are able to provide in house food
and beverage needs, ballrooms, conference rooms, media presentations,
and other hotel amenities such as internet, indoor and outdoor swimming
pools, recreation, fitness room etc...as well as lounge and a TGI
Friday's attached to the hotel, major shopping mall across the street
as well as a cinema.

Ground Transportation: Logan Express Shuttle to and from the airport
goes right by the hotel. Driving is easy just off the Mass Turnpike
(ask Donna Spirito and Dianna Derochers from Ferrets are Love, The
Educated Ferret), as well as all major routes.

Hosting Shelter: South Shore Ferret Care -- Diane Wall (that's me!)
along with Michele Paulhus, and wonderful shelter saints such as Risa
DiVencenzo of SOS, Ronnie DiComo, Laurie Austin, Rose German of Little
Feet Ferret Retreat Bedding, Eleanor Meade (Minky 98) who creates those
fabulous ferret figurines on line and recently raffled off at the
symposium, Kristen Baker & Diddy Wheeler both of Mass Ferret Friends.
And of course my traveling buddy, Renee Downs, of whom I have provided
ferret sitting services over the past few years.

South Shore Ferret Care is a home-based shelter, rescue and hospice
center which is located at my house less than 5 miles from the hotel.
The house is fairly large and able to accommodate 30+ guests inside (as
we have two level raised ranch). Depending on what season in fair
weather we have a huge yard, small pool and have hosted major summer
events which included vendors, food, bbq activities. Perfect setting
for the shelter dinner.

Local Assistance: We have a large group of ferret owners in the area
who can provide any assistance needed. We have many, many ferret
experienced vets in the area who would certainly attend such an event
as well as offer to speak.

Possible Speakers and Possible Topics: Tufts Veterinary is only a few
miles from us as is Angell Memorial. Perhaps Dr. Joerg Mayer would be
able to attend this year. I'm sure Dr. Connie Orcutt may be available
from Angell Memorial which is the National Animal Poisoning Control
Center. Perhaps Katherine at Animal Pharm, who is local and may wish
to present on being an Animal Compounding Pharmacy, she is less than
10 miles away. I'm sure Dr. Purcell or Dr. Mitchell may want to
participate since we are not too far from them. Dr. Purcell is also
friendly with Dr. Flavia Zagnottti of Phoenix Veterinary (mentioned
as recently having a confirmed FIP in a ferret which was discussed at
the symposium). Other available vets would also include Dr. Susan
Harrington of Randolph Animal Hospital, our shelter vet and does many
of our surgeries, Dr. Jay Could from Mattapoisett Animal Hospital of
whom I believe has more than twenty years experience in treating
ferrets, Dr. Grace Strake, South Coastal Animal Hospital, who assisted
us with all of the needed surgery and treatment for our Ohio DMK
Ferrets and has handled most of the MSPCA ferrets surrendered. Noted
is that spays and neuters are not common to Massachusetts as state law
requires all ferrets to be spayed and neutered for every ferret. Many
here are fascinated to see and learn about whole ferrets and breeding.
You all can teach us a lot!! Perhaps Alicia Drakiotes would assist us
from Ferret Wise. We have a dedicated MSPCA Law Enforcement department
who could perhaps present on the reporting and documenting cases of
animal abuse, removing animals from crime scenes as well as keeping
yourself safe during rescues. An important topic would also be
Mentoring Others to Foster and open our future shelters, as well as
how to manage foster homes as well as managing emergencies and hot
lines. (You folks from Kansas City could teach us loads on that
subject I bet).

More importantly, what topics do you want to see? Let's have some
suggestions!

Possible Vendors: Of course all of the vendors at the symposium would
be a wonderful treat and locally we would have available: Rose German
of Little Feet Ferret Retreat, Eleanor Meade, creator of so many hand
crafted ferret sculptures (Minkey 98), Ferret Wise, Donna Spirito of
The Educated Ferret & Ferrets Are Love and of course South Shore Ferret
Care with Wonderful Weasel Soap, and Diane's Dry Dook Soup.

Local Shelters: South Shore Ferret Care - Diane Wall, Massachusetts
Ferret Friends-Diddy Wheeler, and The Educated Ferret-Donna Spirito,
Dianne Derochers.

Possible Dates: New England can be wonderful year round. May is
pleasant with warm and moderate temps, end of June or July is warm and
pretty, and perfect beach weather, fall is wonderful for the foliage.
We can be flexible to any time that works for all of you! And unless
there is a specific timing of these events even a 4th of July with
fireworks on the half shell or Columbus Day in October for a long
weekend full of events (even bridal) would work.

I'm sure I'm not thinking of the millions of tasks involved, but what
do you think?

Please consider Boston for the next location........

With Sincere Gratitude to all and a Warm Welcoming Invitation,

Diane Wall
South Shore Ferret Care
(Wonderful Weasel Laundry Soap and Diane's Dry Dook Soup)

[Moderator's note: While all suggestions are considered, please note
the IFC isn't ready to commit to a location yet. Also note the just
held symposium was in the Eastern part of the country, so that may
lessen the chances for another Eastern location this soon. While this
is not an "official" statement and all locations will be considered,
please don't plan on Boston -- or anywhere else -- just yet. BIG]