Date:
Sun, 14 Mar 2004 08:05:52 EST
This subject really tugs at my heart.  As a shelter, I've seen the
good/bad.

Last year,I got in Snuggles who had the BIGGEST mass cell tumor my vet
has ever seen.  He's been a vet for 27 years.  This little Angel had it
on her neck area.  Her *human* was surrendering her due to her needing
surgery/moving.  Human ststed that she couldn't afford the surgery.  My
vet charges $45 to remove it, including meds, rechecks.  BUT this human
had paid $160 to have Snuggles declawed.  Snuggles was here with me for
almost 3 months after her surgery.  She had to be PTS as the cancer had
gone to her intestines.

And Mikey, that Val had adopted from me.  I knew that Val was/is a
wonderful fert loving lady who would give Mikey a good home.  He got into
some chemical & started getting tumors.  Val did eveything she could.
She even sold fert footprint paintings (I LOVE mine) to help pay her vet
bills.  When she saw that Mikey was going to need extensive TLC & more
surgeies, she did what WE thought was best for Mikey.  TYracey whom has
adopted from me many times, and is a wonderful vet tech, took over with
Mikey.  With God & Tracey & her vet, Mikey has been tumor free for a few
months now.  Tracey loves this big laid back boy.

And I've had people contact me needing a vet ASAP but they had no money.
They loved & cared for the fert but hard times had hit.  Like Deb, she
had her sewer lines that had to be redone & it was setting her back
$3600. & her Ginger needed help ASAP.  I called my vet, told him what
was going on, said I'd pay the bill.  He said no, that he'd let Deb
charge.  Ginger died shortly after emergency surgery, Deb was heartbroken
but still paid the bill.

Sometimes in life, things happen.  We can have money stashed back, but
sometimes it(whatever) can cost more than we've saved up.  Ask vets to
help you out.  Most will let you make payments.  Some won't.  And ask
shelters for help, they have the best contacts with vets.

Compassion for the human trying to do right for the pets.  Thats the way
I see it.  IF indeed they are trying their best to obtain help.

Sandi