From:
Kathy Gallagher <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 Aug 2003 17:26:48 -0400
>From:    "Sharon M. Estes" <[log in to unmask]>
>
>...  However, I want to know what you people think about ferrets as
>classroom pets.  There would be constant human contact from 7:30 until
>4:00.  They would be alone at night and on regular weekends except for
>daily visits to clean, water, feed, and exercise a bit.  I would bring
>cage and all home for extended weekends or vacations.  However, my home
>is small and adding a large cage full time is not an option right now.

Personally, I don't think ferrets belong in the classroom.  It is
possible for them t be tormented and tortured by mean spirited children.
One nip of the wrong kid, and you have the parent demanding that the
ferret be put down and tested for rabies.  In my high school years I
never saw any of our animals treated well.  I admit I'm biased.

Why not make them a family pet?  Ferrets sleep 15 to 10 hrs a day.  Get
along with most household pets, except the bird.  With close supervision,
should be able to get along with your child.  You can let them out to
play when everyon is home, or get or make a nice playpen the days you
don't have time for a supervised playtime in the house.

KG