From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Jan 2009 14:50:41 -0500
Edward asks about the remaining 7.8% of uroliths. (66.8% +14.9%
+10.5% add up to 92.2%)

The paper just came out and i have not seen it, but there are some
possibilities, including:
1. Too little sludge to test. Uroliths don't always form large stones.
Sometimes they form sludge and the equipment used to clean uroliths
from the bladder can accidently wash away a decent bit of the smaller
stuff.
2. Alternative urolith cause. These listed ones are the three most
common urolith types, but the certainly are not the only urolith types.

My suspicion is that the second possible cause i listed accounts for
the 7.8%

Actually, there used to be a wonderful lab site with page after page
of wonderful pictures of types of uroliths. I'll try to find it for
you. Okay, it is Louis C. Herring Laboratory. I don't know how many
of the unusual kinds ferrets can get but do recall one or two unusual
ones coming up in past FHL and FML discussions.
http://www.herringlab.com/

This is a very useful article on the three most common types of
uroliths in ferrets:
<http://www.smallanimalchannel.com/ferrets/ferret-health/bladder-stones.aspx>
To a lesser extent posts like
http://ferrethealth.org/archive/2008/FHL5777
may help.

Now I am going much more off-line until at least early next week due
to the untimely death of my cousin's wife.

Sukie (not a vet)

Recommended ferret health links: