From:
Judith White <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 2 Aug 2003 03:16:50 -0400
>From:    Anonymous Poster <[log in to unmask]>
>
>Does anyone check out the rescuing shelters involved in ferret rescues
>before the ferrets are handed over to them ?  What about the AFA ? ...
>what if the rescuer also has "problems"?  can what is qualified as
>"abuse" years ago be a warning of what might happen again or be a warning
>sign of yet more possible abuse in the future to "rescued" ferrets?  can
>we be sure the rescuing shelter has nice conditions all around and not a
>hidden past or a future to hide?  Are contributions really going to help
>the rescued ferrets only and not for personal gain?

To the concerned anonymous poster: the ferret shelter community is small
enough and rescues like this are public enough so that you can be sure we
would hear about it if anyone thought the rescuing shelters weren't fit
to take in the ferrets or weren't known to the FML community.  In this
case, the rescuers are established and known, to the AFA as well as
others.  Many people have been to Barbara Clay's shelter and fundraising
events, and the shelters who will be working with her are also ones with
a track record.  If no one knew anything about them, questions would be
asked and their qualifications checked out.  The east coast has (too)
many shelters within relatively short distances of each other and there
is a dense ferret population all around.  When we have helped shelters
out west where the population is less dense, we have asked questions
first.  So you can rest easy.