Date:
Sat, 8 Jan 2005 18:47:31 +0800
>I was contacted by a couple who wanted to adopt one of our fosters.
>When I inquired about their ferret knowledge, I was informed that the
>gentleman did because he was a native Argentinean (from Mendosa) where
>"ferrets live in the wild."  He said that ferrets are called "hurones"
>there & that they grow to 15 lbs.  Also that they're popular pets, but
>nobody buys them.  They gave me the following web pages, but I can't
>read them.
>
>http://groups.msn.com/hurones/col.msnw
>http://www.geocities.com/fotosaves/FotosMamiferos/FotosCarnivora.html
>
>The 1st page looks like personal pets.  But the 2nd site looks like
>hurones (ferrets) are listed as native carnivores. ...
>
>Juliana Quadrozzi
>FERRET BUSINESS of GA

http://www.earthwatch.org/expeditions/lucherini.html
This page says that "ferret-like grisons" are found in Argentina.

http://www.cartage.org.lb/en/themes/Sciences/Zoology/ClassMammalia/
Mammals/OrderCarnivora/Mustelidae/Mustelidae/Mustelidae.htm

This one says that the "little grisOn (Galictis vittata)" is found in
central and southern South America.

http://www.projectamazonas.com/subpages/floraandfauna/
FloraFaunaGalleries/mammals-carnivores%20gallery.htm

>Pics of a grison, plus the spanish name for them: "Huron" (half way down
>on right)

Grisons are within the Mustelidae Family, maybe they are confusing the 2
species :)

shona

PS. To translate the web site, try http://babelfish.altavista.com