Date:
Sun, 15 Aug 1999 11:47:33 -0500
If anyone would like to check out Animal Planet's web page, the URL is
http://animal.discovery.com/animal.html
you can also e-mail them about their T.V. shows at
(I know I've had to contact them about inaccurate information on one of
their shows.  It's with Dr. McConnell (animal behaviorist) and her
ex-husband, but for the life of me I can't remember the name of the show.)

I'm reading these posts about Febreeze, and thinking to myself "I know I
read about that somewhere, where was it???".  Modern Ferret #23
(July/August 1999), page 12.  It gives the findings of the ASPCA National
Animal Poison Control Center.  As with any household product (of course,
there will be exceptions), the general rule is to wait until it's out of
the air or until completely dry.

Haven't had a "problem" yet with Rosie pawing or batting at her water
bottle.  But her buddy-kitty, Blaise, will go in and help himself to her
water bottle when she's out.  And Tara, another kitty, helps herself to
Rosie's food.  I usually take Rosie's dish out when she's out of her cage
(or she'd stash the entire bowl) - only about 1 1/2 to 2 hours.  So that
means that Tara has to stick her paw in through the cage bars to lift out
some M.F.  ferret chow!  Rosie doesn't seem to mind too much, usually just
goes back to snoozin'.

Marsha, saw your post about the car wash/brat sale.  I live in Oshkosh, and
didn't see it until today so I missed it.  What is the Ferret Nook?  Where
is it located (meaning good directions because Madison is a maze if you
don't know your way around)?

"Skimming this, I really had to stop and wonder... then remembered a friend
from Wisconsin... the first thing I thought was "eat some who?"" - hee hee
Jennifer, gotcha!  We Cheeseheads like to keep others on their toes.  Yes,
we eat brats and drink from bubblers - and are darn proud of it!  ;-o Don't
want to make it seem like we have extreme punishment for wayward
children......<BG>

Regarding the Sevin insecticide - if the product "is designed for your
garden", why would anyone want to use it on their carpeting or on their
pet?  (Not a flame to the authors on the FML, I guess more of a question
to the non-present manufacturer.)  There are plenty of products designed
to be used on your pet's skin - dips, shampoos, drops, mousses, sprays.
Please do not use any outdoor pest control products on your pets.  Have
you ever gotten a smell of these products?  Practically hurts the nasal
membranes just to smell it (not sniff it, of course) - can't imagine what
it could do to skin.  BTW, pets cannot reach their back between their
shoulder blades, but they certainly CAN reach between their toes.  Also,
if you do find yourself in the living h*ll that is Flea Infestation (been
there, thanks to a puppy we once puppy-sat), use only indoor products in
the house, and remove all pets/cover any aquariums when treating.  Whether
dusting powder or foggers/smoke, no animals should be in the house until
well after the waiting time indicated on the package.  If it says 2 hours,
wait 3 hours before bringing animals back in.  (We've got 3 cats, a dog, 2
birds, a ferret, 2 aquariums and a terrarium.  Heaven help us if we ever
get fleas again.  I think it would be much easier to just move <G>.)

To all who have had babies cross over the Rainbow Bridge (myself included):
it's not how they crossed, but just the fact that they crossed at all.
Whether it's a prolonged illness or a sudden, tragic accident - it's
basically the same.  Loosing a pet, whether furry, scaley, or covered
\ith feathers; two legs, four legs, no legs at all; old or young - hurts
terribly.  There are no words to describe the pain one goes through after
the loss of a pet.  I once missed three days of work due to the loss of a
pet, because I was almost insane with grief.  My sincere heartfelt sympathy
to all who have an angel watching over them.

>Does anyone know how soon we should see a decrease in the size of her
>vulva?

Jen, I think it may have to do with the amount of swelling, the degree/size
of the tumor/s, and the success of the surgery.  I know that with Niki and
Dinah, the swelling never really did go down.  Vet said that can happen.
But they did have some fur grow back, both nearly a full coat, and lived
for well over a year after surgery.  Both were spunky and playful up to
the end.

Psycho is bad enough with cats and ferrets, but imagine a Great Dane who
feels the need to warn Psycho at all hours of the day and night - right
now as I'm typing this at 11:19 am, or at 3:30 am or 7:19 pm.......we
always thought the cats were seeing ghosts or trying to freak us out on
purpose, until the dog came along.

Michel