From:
Troy Lynn Eckart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Jul 1998 08:24:45 -0600
When we have a ferret that doesn't want to eat and we don't know what they
eat I set up a food buffet.  I use the lunch trays (found at second hand
stores) and in each little section I put a different type of food.  There
are 5 sections and I pick the most common quality foods sold in our area
and a a couple grocery store types.  Purina Kitten Chow, Deli Cat, and Alpo
Cat seem to be the most popular junk foods so I include them as well as
Iams Kitten, Iams Adult, Science Diet, Totally Ferret (not likely as it
isn't sold in our area), and Marshall Farms.

First we find out what the ferret likes, let them adapt to our household
then we start switching foods.  Some ferrets will not switch and that is
fine with me as long as they eat our recipe that is filled with proper
nutrition - and most if not all do enjoy a saucer of warm recipe in the
morning and evening.

My suggestion is to contact the people and find out what kind of dog food
they were feeding and buy some to mix with the good stuff.  You can grind
up the food to a powder and mix it with the proper foods.  You can also mix
the good foods with dog food and place them in a sealed container for a few
days - shaking frequently.

While some people think ferrets will eat when they get hungry enough - they
won't.  That is when they have to be force fed.  Eventually the ferret can
end up so stressed that he/she will get an ulcer.  And if you aren't on top
of it you will have a very sick ferret and a longer course of medicating
and force feeding than if you allow the ferret to eat the type of food it
prefers and allow it to adjust to the new and frightening situation before
switching to the proper foods.

In a shelter situation if this is a single ferret, he might be more
comfortable in a room by himself, away from the other ferrets.  Once he's
doing well you can move him into the shelter room.  But be ever watchful
that he continues to eat and drink.

Hugs to all. tle