From:
katharine <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 May 2009 19:49:36 -0400
Carol Owens of Ferret Friends, Inc., Tucson AZ wrote:
>I wondered about that same question a while ago when ferret was dying
>and the only vet hospital that will do ferrets in the middle of the
>night is a half hour away. So I Googled for information. The best
>answer was from a rattery right here near Tucson that has detailed
>information about making a carbon dioxide filled chamber and using
>simple baking soda and vinegar to provide the gas. There is a proper
>way to do it so the animal isn't frightened but slowly goes into a
>stupor before the lethal concentration is given. The directions were
>for an animal up to two pounds. I have never had to use this method
>yet but some times I am tempted when I know a ferret is on the way to
>the Rainbow Bridge. Then I have to drive 25 miles to our vet, pay for
>the euthanasia and drive home again. This would be much less costly.

You have got to be freakin' kidding me!! Just who do you plan on
testing this little homemade euthaniasia chamber on to make sure it
works right? God knows, we wouldn't want you to waste your time and
gas, or pay a medical professional to euthanize a suffering animal
PROPERLY and PAINLESSLY!! I would think you could find some better
ways to save money.

I truly hope this post was some sick attempt to be funny.

Katharine
Florida
(who paid to have a pet rat properly euthanized on Christmas Day)