From:
Tressie Dutchyn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Dec 2007 09:37:50 -0400

>I believe you live in Canada? In the U.S. any non-profit organization
>(as approved by the Internal Revenue Service, the federal tax
>collection agency) is REQUIRED BY LAW to keep meticulous financial
>records, and have them available to anyone who requests them.
>
>No one is asking for anything that shouldn't already be readily
>available.

It is the same in Canada. And I expect Ms. Sies will do exactly that
when the auditor or shelter accountant compiles the books for year
end, and then they will be made available publicly, as they should.

The point that I disagree on is whether this information should be
"readily available."

I have volunteered on the boards of numerous non-profit organizations
and I do understand the chore of keeping books up to date. I would
expect that when the poor harassed woman has an opportunity to total
all the expenses including estimating the in-kind donations from pet
stores, etc. there will be a final detailed accounting.

I am curious as to why people feel the need to demand that accounting
immediately? Is it because she has asked for further donations? If the
problem is that the hand is out asking for more, then why not simply
decline to donate?

This whole backlash brings to mind a group of foot stomping toddlers
demanding their cookies instantly rather than waiting for when the time
is right for cookies and milk.

I read today's posts and its full of more of the same. Nothing I read
today suggests a balanced well-thought overview of the situation,
although some did make a pretence of that. A tremendous amount of
emotions are being expressed. I am bewildered at the amount of anger
that's coming out. Some claim it is not an attack but if one stands in
Lori's shoes what else is it?

I know I speak for many who dare not voice their opinion for fear of
being attacked themselves. I also know that a rational much more
objective approach is required. I stand by my position.

Respectfully,
Tressie