From:
"Irene E. Wilson" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Jul 1997 22:28:41 -0400
Hello,
This evening I accompanied the woman and her two young daughters to the home
of the grandparents of the teenager who wanted to surrender the Orange
County, N.Y. ferret.  The grandparents treated us warmly and even offered
the girls popcycles.  Having met them in person, I believe they truly wanted
what was best for the ferret.  They just didn't know how to care for the
animal that their grandson essentially abandoned to them.  Happily, they
realized the ferret deserved a home where he could be properly cared for by
people ready, willing, and able to do so.

According to the grandparents, once the novelty of having the ferret had
worn off their grandson basically ignored by the ferret.  He generally
confined to the ferret to the cage [one not designed for a ferret!] and fed
him a diet of diet of cereal, fruit and grocery store cat food.  It is
questionable when the ferret was last examined by a veterinarian (he is to
be seen by a veterinarian this week.).  It is clear that this ferret has
bilateral cataracts, is slightly overweight and likely has an enlarged
spleen.

Given his history, none of that was unexpected.  In spite of the benign
neglect, this chocolate Marshall Farms ferret has not lost his spirit.  He
has a **wonderful** temperment and is very handsome! :-)   How happy I am
that this ferret will finally have the kind of home he -- indeed all animals
-- deserve.  I thank each of you who expressed an interest in this ferret
and I know you too are as delighted as I am that there was a happy ending to
this story.  I suspect his new family will post a follow-up report on how he
is adjusting to his new home.

Take Care,
Irene
Proverbs 12:10 KJV