From:
"Erika C. Shugart" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Jun 1996 20:32:08 -0400
I was told recently, from a sometime reliable source, that when Lewis and
Clark sent examples of western flora and fauna back east some of the labels
got mixed up.  To be precise the labels on the prairie dog and on the
coyote, so in fact our coyotes are actually supposed to be called the
prairie dogs and the little prairie dog is supposed to go by the Indian name
coyote.  Which kinda makes sense since coyote look like dogs of the prairie
and prairie dogs look like, well, chipmunks on steroids.  As I was thinking
about this curious trivial fact (or for the more cynical of you, this urban
legend) it occurred to me that perhaps this is how the ferret gained its
bloodthirsty reputation.  Once the word got out that ferrets ate coyote for
dinner it must have been assumed that they were pretty darn viscous, and the
rumors of cow killing could only follow.  So I am very pleased to now be
able to pass on to the FML this information and I hope that this new
knowledge will help all of you understand how our raisin eating babies could
be confused with blood sucking chicken killers ;-).

I am also hoping that one of you may know the validity, or lack thereof, of
this story.  (Perhaps you Bob and his pack of 13?)

E.C. and
Tica (If I order a pair of rocket-powered skates from ACME Inc. I
bet I could get a coyote)
Mole (Coyote? Only if in kibble form.)
and Patas (Coyote? No problem let me at 'um, I'll get 'um!)

--
Erika C. Shugart                        Department of Biology
[log in to unmask]         University of Virginia