From:
Mini Tafoya <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Feb 1998 10:47:16 EST
Hello everyone,

Good news for Albuquerque, NM!!!

Jason Hill and myself attended the City Ordiance Meeting last Friday to make
sure some changes would be happening regarding Ferrets.

This was our first time at such a meeting, and neither one of us knew what
to expect.  We were handed a handout with proposed changes that hopefully
will go into effect on or about July 1, 1998.

The only time Ferrets were mentioned was under the rabies issue.  Jason
brought up the exotic status on the ferrets and the comittee was more then
happy to add them to domestic status, and apply the same licensing as dogs
and cats.  That means once all of this has been re-written and approved, all
ferret owners within the city limits of Albuquerque will have to have a city
license for their ferrets.  The cost for a spayed or neutered Ferret will be
I believe $4.00 per animal, $11.00 if unneutered or unspayed, and this also
means be current on vaccinations.

Now my concern is Just how do we educate Ferret owners on this issue?
Petshops in this town DO NOT educate the new owner, and from what little
research Jason did, there are hundrets of Ferrets sold in a month time.
Where do all of these Ferrets go???

Another issue is now the County of Bernalillo.  I talked to Dr. Laura Banks
last Friday and the county will have a meeting coming up the 24th of this
month.  Yes I will be attending as well.  Dr. Banks is not willing to make
any changes at this time, only what is handed down from the State level,
which means Dr. Attistead in Santa Fe.  Changes need to be made on the State
level before she is willing to add them to the county ordiance.  Dang it!!!
I was hoping she would be more helpfull.  I guess my boxing gloves will have
to come out, as I want to see changes taking place soon.

Right now the county does not require anything for Ferrets...licensing
included.  But in a print out (that i am not suposed to have) she has
ferrets listed as "WILD".  Yeah right.

Just thought I would let everyone know we are making progress, even here in
NM regarding the Ferret rabies issue.  If anyone in NM would like to help
make changes, please contact me directly.  Do indicate it is in referrence
to Ferrets as I delete all mail i do not recognize.

Happy Ferreting

Mini and her gang of 9