From:
Northern <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 17 Aug 2003 05:16:10 -0700
Bruno is in the hospital today.  Yesterday morn I noticed that he kept
making trips to the litter box and nothing was coming out.  At first I
thought it was an intestinal blockage (he had his spleen removed 2 months
ago) but it turned out to be urinary.  It was almost 4 hours before he
was relieved.

The Vet said he saw crystals at the tip and when he flushed out the
bladder there was a lot of RBCs in the urine.  Now I m waiting to see
if he can pass urine on his own.  He is currently on antibiotics and
sedated.  The Vet said over the phone that catheterizing ferrets is
such a messy thing .  I wondered about that and called one of my local
shelters for more info.  I guess the odds are against my Bruno and there
is a good chance I may have to put him down.  That is breaking my heart.

Bruno has a partner, Spunky.  They have been together for years with no
other ferrets.  I m a little how this will effect her.  I have to put
him down then I will bring him back for her to check out, for closure.
Then I will make sure she gets lots of extra attention till the day she
passes.

These will be my first and last weasels (squeezaels).  I have owned many
pets in the past but none has touched me like these guys.  It just hurts
too damn much.

I never knew that male ferrets could become plugged like this.  I know it
happens to cats but not ferrets.  It is in none of the books I have about
them and I don t remember it being a subject on the 3 groups I belong to.

I will post later on his condition.  I am supposed to call later this
morning (Sunday) to see how he is doing.  I just needed to get this out
of me because it is tearing me up.

Thanks.
M.Northern