From:
Lynda Reid <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 19 Sep 1999 15:13:20 -0500
I am trying very hard not to be angry at a few responses to the request
for help for the "CA guy" and the 13 ferrets that were taken by CF+G.  It
is becoming obvious to me that the naysayers are completely unaware of both
the situation in CA and the immediate problem, so cannot be blamed for
their postings.

First, Mountain has run a small halfway house for ferrets for several years
in a state where this is NOT an easy thing to do (not that it is easy
anywhere, actually!).  He often ends up keeping the elderly and sick with
him, because they cannot be adopted out.  Because "someone" turned him over
to F+G, the ferrets are now locked up in small cages (they are normally
free-roam) somewhere and neither he nor his vet are allowed to see them.
We do not know what vet bills will add up to, if a vet is ever actually
allowed to even see them.

He, of course, has been cited for "harboring wild animals" and this is
likely to be a very expensive case for him.  He is NOT asking for funds to
help with his legal bills---please remember this.  He has told me that he
will go to jail if necessary.  Mountain's only concern right now is getting
the ferrets safely out of state, to someone who can care for them.  We have
found a person who is able and willing to take them, if F+G will release
them.

Right now, the paperwork to allow them to be shipped out of state has been
sent to the judge.  If and when the judge signs it, then the ferrets can be
shipped.  Mountain will NOT be able to do this---F+G will, and they will
require him to pay the money up-front, I believe.  This is why there is a
request for funds; it will be an expensive process and Mountain just does
NOT have the money.  It isn't something that can be "put off" for a month
until he can raise funds, as suggested by another poster.

I have said I will collect any donations, be responsible for the
accounting, and send the monies directly to F+G for the shipping.  My
address is

   Lynda Reid
   105 S. Drake
   Manhattan, KS  66503

If you have waded through this entire post, I congratulate you!  I
certainly did not set out to write so much!  And, hopefully, I haven't
been as nasty to a few people as I would like to be!!

Lynda (Razz) and the crew