From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Jan 2002 23:15:06 -0500
>Would someone explain to me in laymen language what a cystic kidney is?

A cystic kidney has a large fluid filled hole - or multiple ones in it.
They don't draining to the outside, and the remainder of the kidney
functions normally.  But if the amount of kidney replaced by this cyst
exceeds 66%, the normal function of the kidney is impaired (however, if
the other kidney is normal, the ferret will do fine.)

With kindest regards,
Bruce Williams, DVM

>If a cystic kidney has a hole in it, filled with fluid, what would
>cause it to break and how long would that ferret have to live after
>breakage?

Dear X:

I've never actually seen a cyst rupture, and I believe our files section
has the largest cyst I have ever seen.  The kidney has a very tough
capsule around it, which is very resistant to rupture.  How long would a
ferret last - probably a matter of days.  Urine leakage causes
peritonitis.

With kindest regards,
Bruce Williams, DVM