From:
Dani Lucking <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Aug 2001 17:15:14 -0400
I wrote months ago regarding three of our five ferrets and their hair loss.
Bailey and Oscar are growing hair!!!  The mystery is that we have not done
anything yet about their hair loss.  They just decided to take it upon
themselves to fix the problem.  One thing I suspected may well have been
the culprit.  Our old house had lots of sunlight in the bedroom, where they
have free run.  Our new house has lots of shade, so even with the curtains
up, it's pretty dark in that room.  A few months ago they started digging
and making lots of noise all night, every night.  I was pregnant and not
dealing well with the sleep disruption, so we got a large cage for night.
The cage doesn't fit in the bedroom, so is in the very sunny living room.
After a few months of sunlight in the morning, two of the three are all
stubbly with new hair.  Eddie still has a bald tummy, but he was the least
affected by the baldness.  I still don't know if the sunlight is why they
lost their hair or gained it back, but my fuzzies are getting fuzzy again!
I also don't know why Little Bit and Stinky remained fully coated when
their siblings were folically challenged.  Anyway, I just wanted to pass on
some good medical news for once.  I am so glad we don't have to cut them
open to remove an adrenal gland.  We were saving up to do just that.  It's
so expensive when you have three at once!!!  Hopefully, the vet will give
them a clean bill of health next week when they get their shots.  Thanks to
everyone who responded about the hair loss and my question on run time vs.
baby time.

If anyone has a good medical explaination for the baldness and regrowth,
I'm interested.  Mail me personally.

Thanks,