From:
April Gallaty <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Feb 1999 08:16:46 -0500
I can understand why someone would post this annon.  I have been really
thinking about this situation alot since reading the post and I feel (like
so many others will too) that I need to comment on this situation...

To be fair, I would like to say, that I see positives and negatives in this
situation.  I don't know which is more out-standing, but, I think something
needs to be said.  Please don't flame me later for my opinions.  They are
just opinions.  My objective here is to NOT flame this person for his
actions...

I can see this scenario in my head.  I have SO many times wanted to walk up
to some horrible pet store owner and smash their little heads in and save
all the fuzzies and birds and dogs, etc.  I am only one person and can do
so much.  (I will tell you what I do do in a moment).  I think that on one
level, I respect this guy for taking a stance and sticking to his beliefs
(be it in rage and anger or not).  I think, even when he did what he did,
he knew the consequences.  (That's probably why he made the wife take off
with the kit).

My response (and have done it before) is to walk up and say, "Can I use
your phone?  It's a local call." They give me the phone and I call the
police to report bad conditions in the petstore (boy, do you get some
glares).  I then inform the police that I will wait around to give a report
of the bad conditions that I see and that kinda makes them come immediately
albeit slowly and you get your two words in with the authorities and they
may report them to animal control.

Ok (now for the negative reaction).  The way I see it, because of this
situation, I have to admit, that the pet store owner probably won this
battle.  True, he gets his cage smashed, but he did get reimbursed, sell
his ferret, and get the guy arrested who did all the damage and get him
fined (with a record).  Now, if the press heard this commotion on the radio
scanners and came running, they could have headlined it one of two ways,
"CONCERNED CITIZEN LOSES TEMPER OVER ABHORRENT PET STORE CONDITIONS" (which
isn't so bad) or "LUNATIC RAMPAGES THROUGH PETSTORE AND STEALS FERRET".
(which is bad).  I am willing to bet that number two is the headline that
did or could have appeared.

My only concern here is that it kinda sets back the work that people have
done to stop bad pet store conditions.  It's a little like the Right to
Lifers who kill folks for doing abortions.  Helllllloooooooooo!  That makes
no sense.

Either way, I am sure I have ticked off more than my fair share of FML'ers.
I am going to go ahead and post this with my name because I believe in what
I say and I don't apologize for it, no more than our "hero" apologizes for
his actions.  But, please don't flame me.  As they say, 'Opinions are like
butts.  Everyone's got them."

April Gallaty and the fuzzy 4

http://www.geocities.com/~april_gallaty

"Get thee down. Be thou funky." - Anonymous