From:
"Michael Dutton, DVM, DABVP" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Mar 1996 09:47:07 -0500
THE ADVICE DISPENSED BY MYSELF IN REFERENCE TO FML POSTINGS IS NOT MEANT TO
SUPPLANT THE ADVICE OF VETERINARIANS WHO ARE IN CHARGE OF THE PATIENT.  IF
THE PATIENT IS NOT CURRENTLY UNDER THE CARE OF A VETERINARIAN, THE CLIENT IS
RECOMMENDED TO TAKE THEIR FERRET TO ONE.

>From:    "JEFF JOHNSTON, EPIDEMIOLOGY" ><[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: *Why* is plant protein bad?
>I've repeatedly seen statements that plant protein is not digested as well
>by ferrets as animal protein.  Does anyone have an explanation for this

It is not a case of plant protein taking longer to digest.  The digestive
juices and mechanisms required to extract protein from plant sources take
longer than a ferret has intestinal length and time for.  Whereas protein is
more easily extracted and broken down from meat sources.

>From:    Lynn Mcintosh <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Medical - please help!
>My jill is nursing a baby kit.  About five days after "Squeek" was born
>(just his baby name), I noticed that mom, Claudette, had belateral swollen

I would put malignant lymphoma (e.g., lymphosarcoma) high on the list.  As
to what method of biopsy, it is a personal preference.  The pathologist is
correct that removing the whole gland is the most diagnostic sample
available.  However, it requires general anesthesia and perhaps a longer
surgery time.  A wedge biopsy requires general anesthesia and a shorter
surgery time.  Other methods such as a tru-cut require a local anesthesia,
perhaps light sedation and can be done outpatient.

The smaller the sample, the higher the likelihood you miss significant
findings.  But, with massively swollen lymph nodes probably a tru-cut would
be diagnostic.

A fine needle aspirate can also be used to diagnose in some cases.  No easy
answer here, it all depends on what your vet is used to doing and what the
pathologist is used to reading and examining.  I do not have any info on
neural tube disorders specific to ferrets.

>From:    Anonymous Poster <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: ferret stopped eating
>my ferret stopped eating about 3 days ago and has lost considerable (~35%
>or more) weight and become very lethargic.

If this ferret is losing weight that fast, aggressive nutritional support is
a must. If your vet can hospitalize and force feed, do it quick.

>From:    Teri VanDever <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Lymphosarcoma or something else?
>I am new to the list, but first thing I did was download the FAQs and the
>disease info on Lymphosarcoma.  Tessa (3yrs)was diagnosed with this 8weeks

Treatments for lymphosarcoma fall into three catergories.
1) do nothing.
2) put on steroids to reduce symptoms but there is no change in the outcome.
3) chemotherapy to treat the lymphosarcoma. It is relatively successful. I
use Dr. Rosenthal s protocol in Clinics of North America,  Small Animal, Jan
1994.

The abdominal swelling may or may not be related to the malignant lymphoma.
Consider a cardiac work-up with ultrasound.

Mike Dutton, DVM, DABVP
Weare Animal Hospital
Weare, NH.