From:
Alicia K Drakiotes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Feb 1998 10:08:08 -0500
While everyone is taking their turns-- I just want to point out that shelter
mascot Ewok-- is a MF ferret derived from a research program.  Dr. Judith
Bell, formerly of MF admitted to me via phone while she was employed at MF
he was certainly one of theirs, as they were the sole supplier of the
research ferrets at the facility he originated from.  While I do not condone
lab animals-- I do understand the need for studies-- and how do you think
vets got the baselines to be able to define normal and abnormal vales.
There are limitations however.  And Ewok looked terrible when he first
arrived.  His coat sparse, brittle and orange, a stress case if ever I saw
one!

Now EWOK is a beauty a proud and handsome sable -- he is the same age plus
one year of our remaining surviving first ferrets.  And to compare them side
by side you would swear that he was younger, more vibrant and not from the
same mold.  Ewok has more defined musculature, and outweighs the other boys
by a pound...

so where am I going with this-- we have both MF late alter MF early alter--
we have decided as pet owners to no longer accept the early alters--

of course the rehab center does, that's not to say-- but personally -- in a
few short years we have found that the early alters far outweighed in vet
bills and illnesses the late alters....

just my .02 worth-- for interests sake.