From:
Anonymous Poster <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Thu, 6 Jan 1994 12:57:03 -0500
>>> Does anyone have any experience in trying to fly on commercial
    airlines with a ferret as a "Pet in cabin"??

Angela,

I recently took my ferret, Snoopy, on a 5 hour plane trip on a commercial
airline.  I shared the same concerns of sending Snoop with the other pets in
the pressurized cargo hold, not to mention an extra $100 round trip for her.
I do not advocate using my plan, but it has worked for me.  Here it is:
Secure a non-crushable container that will fit in your carry on luggage, yet
big enough for your furry pal to sleep comfortably in.  Make sure the container
has adequate ventilation!  When you arrive to the terminal you will have to
bring your ferret through the X-ray area on you (in your shirt or jacket).
After passing through X-ray, go to the bathroom and put your pet in the
container in your carry on luggage.  Your buddy will soon go to sleep and you
are home free (well, $100 cheaper).

I gave Snoop a small towel to curl up in, and after she fell asleep I
opened the bag a little to give her plenty of fresh air.  Since ferrets don't
bark or meow, and enjoy traveling and small dark spaces this plan worked
pretty smoothly.  It may also be helpful to let your pet play in the container
a day or two before you actually are about to travel.  However, I do not know
what the consequences of getting caught are.  I'm sure there is some sort
of federal penalty or maybe quarentine of your animal!  And above all, make
sure there is no way for your pet to get crushed, suffocated, or loose on
the plane!

Happy traveling!