From:
Caitlyn Maire Martin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 2 Dec 2001 12:19:51 -0500
Hi, Sukie, and everyone else,

Thank you for your note on Panda and Blaze ferrets and their seeming lack
of longevity.  We've never had a panda, and our one blaze, Lady Ayeka, has
been healthy except for a benign mast cell tumor that was removed when she
was two and a half.  She's three and a half now, and we probably will take
your advice and have regular bloodwork done starting with her next checkup
and vaccinations at age four.  She's not deaf and has been a very active,
happy, and healthy girl so far, so we have no regrets about having her.

FWIW, the two oldest ferts here are seven.  We adopted them and have
managed to track down most of their history.  Between that and a thorough
vet exam we are quite certain that they have never had any major illnesses
and no surgeries other than the ones they were subjected to as lab ferrets
during the first four years of their lives.  They are happy, active, and
extremely friendly.  They are chocolate sables.  Our first ferret, Tenchi,
is just turning four and has never been sick.  He's a classic sable.

I realize that this is all anecdotal, but since sables are the color and
pattern that naturally occurs, I wonder if they are, as a rule, healthier
than other specially bred colors/patterns (not just panda and blaze) or
albinos.  Any thoughts?

All the best,
Caity and the terrific 10