From:
victoria foster <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 May 1997 17:20:17 PDT
Ferret math is running rampant here.  This is the situation.  I and my four
ferrets quite often go to visit my friends and their seven ferrets.
Yesterday my two friends suprised me by walking into the library where I
work and gloating.  They had just bought a breeding pair of ferrets.  I
glared at them.  They did not -need- two more ferrets.  They should not have
-bought- two more ferrets.  They laughed.  They smirked.  They said if I got
a jill I could breed her with their hob.  Sigh... Who could refuse an offer
like that?

So after work we three went off to get me another ferret.(What could I do?
They dangled temptation in front of my nose.  I'm not that strong.) The one
I finally decided on turned out to be a sister to their hob so I won't be
breeding them together after all.  But that is a problem for the future.  We
all ended up at their house, three humans and fourteen ferrets.

Here is the problem.  After joyfully acepting my other three ferrets, after
peacefully interacting for the longest with their seven, after an hour of
either sniffing or ignoring Cinder, the new baby, my original ferret Gypsy
has decided that she is jealous of Cinder.  She started earnestly trying to
kill her.  Poor little Cinder is only six weeks old and the runt of the
litter.  I put some ferretone on Cinder and let Gypsy lick it off so she
would associate Cinder with nice things.  I let Gypsy sleep on Cinders
bedding and I know about putting bitter apple on the neck.  I cuddle and
love Gypsy.  Cinder stays in a seperate cage for safety and I keep a sharp
eye on them when they are both out.  But does anyone heve any other
suggestions?  Gypsy gets along with all the other ferrets so could this have
something to do with the fact that Cinder is whole?  All of my ferrets are
so good natured that I really didn't expect this.  After only one day, I'm
not yet desperate, but if possible, I would like to get Gypsy past this
jealously.  I would appreciate any suggestions.

? Victoria Foster                     //^^^\\            ?
? e-mail: [log in to unmask]      // ~ ~ \\           ?
?                                    oOOo oOOo           ?