From:
Danee DeVore <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Feb 2000 00:06:10 EST
I was going to stay out of the fray, but I think Anne is taking some
undeserved heat on this one.

Although Anne sent the post in to the FML, and was the primary wordsmith on
this, it was actually the work of a group of 25.  We all read and approved
the release before Anne sent it out.

I cannot speak for the other 24 members of the group, but I would like to
take the opportunity to give my reasons behind the release.

My intention was not to blame anyone or any group.  It was not to point
fingers at any area.  If people have taken offense at the release, I
apologize.  My reason for supporting the press release was to call
attention to the problem that exists with ADV.

No, as far as I know, ADV is not a major cause of deaths in ferrets.  It is
not something new - I have been aware of ADV for over 10 years.  But it is
a terrible disease, and the worst thing about it is, we know very little.
ADV is considered to be primarily a mink disease.  Most of the research
that has been done on it is in relation to *ranch mink*.  Now, whether or
not you agree with the policy, the value of ranch mink is in their pelts
and their ability to reproduce.  ADV only kills Aleutian mink.  Other
varieties of mink may survive, but usually cannot reproduce after
contracting ADV.  So, for the owner of ranch mink, it makes sense to
euthanize any mink that may be infected and sell the pelts.  This may
sound heartless, but that's the way it is.

The CEP test that is currently used was developed for ranch mink.  The test
is probably very effective at testing what it was designed to do.  It tests
for the presence of antibodies to Aleutians.  This simply means exposure to
the disease.  I think when some people talk about *false positives* what
they really mean is that an animal can test positive, but not actually ever
get sick with the disease.

Our ferrets are not the same as ranch mink.  Our investment in them is not
measured in dollars and cents, but in love and affection.  I would never
consider euthanizing a ferret just because of a positive CEP test.  This
is why we need more research, and a new test.  We need a test that will
actually tell us if a ferret is sick with the disease.  Currently, the
only way to verify if a ferret had ADV is through necropsy.

And there is other information that is needed as well.  Currently, it is
unknown when in the course of the disease the animal sheds, or can spread,
the disease.  We do not know how long after exposure the ferret can go
before developing symptoms.  Currently, there is no prescribed treatment
for ADV.  It will do no good for us to sit around blaming each other and
pointing fingers.  What is needed is action.  Action to educate ferret
owners on what the disease is, and action to get more research funded.

Admittedly, I have a selfish interest in this.  I have ferrets that test
positive, and one that may have clinically active ADV.  But, I think all
ferret owners could benefit from additional research on this subject.

Danee DeVore