From:
Pam Grant and STAR* Ferrets <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Oct 1996 08:50:16 -0500
>SINCE THE ISSUE has once again been brought up I would like to invite the
>shelters who care for and treat these animals to start compiling a database.
>We all have other ferrets through our doors than MF... of those HOW MANY
>have adrenal disease.
>ANY VOLUNTEERS FOR COORDINATING this data???  I think we will all be
>convinced when the issue is studied in depth.

STAR* is gathering this kind of data annually with the survey distributed in
the newsletter, as well as on the FML and mailed to the non-vet resources on
the database.  But I can't get a good reading if people do not pay attention
to tattoos or ages of ferrets when surgery happens.

All ferret owners should consider having a notebook to input every pet's
milestones, shot records and surgeries.  STAR* is planning on distributing
TWO surveys this year - one for shelters and people who want to be on the
STAR* database, and one for owners to give flesh to the question "how many
ferrets ARE out there?"

look for these surveys in December.

>From:    Michael Janke <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Please help
>I never liked to beg, but it has come to the point where I'm getting down on
>my knees and begging for your help.... Our shelter is penniless.  We
>currently have 160 ferrets in our shelter, around 50 in need of adrenal
>surgery.

If you would be so kind as to find out how many of these adrenal ferrets are
Marshall Farms, and list their ages, and e-mail me the information, I would
be willing to make a contribution for their recovery.  Angela never fills out
the STAR* survey...

>From:    Brian Canals <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: FOG - brochures

Deena - you are welcomed to use parts of the text in the _Ferret Care and
Rescue_ book from STAR*.  I can't remember if you ordered it with your
subscription or not...

>From:    Lorinda Baker <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Chocolate sustacal?

Chocolate Sustical is fine.  It is really cocoa, not chocolate.  Glad the
sick little bugger like it.  ferrets need a minimum of 60 cc's sustenance to
survive, ad the more food you can get down the better.

>From:    Chris & Shelley Knudsen <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: FAQ revisions
>Just another suggestion for the FAQ revisions.  What about putting in a
>section on how to start a ferret shelter, or a ferret club?

STAR* has this information available - the club start pamphlet is free and
can be e-mailed (I meant to do this to several subscribers and their
addresses got away from me).  The shelter start up kit does have a price
tag, but it costs $2.00 just to mail it!

For any information about starting any ferret service, contact STAR* Ferrets,
PO Box 1714, Springfield, VA 22151-0714.

Pamela T. Grant