From:
Melissa H <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 29 Apr 2000 04:26:11 GMT
I just need to vent, and make sure I'm going things right here.

I work in a pet store that sells MF kits.  (Manager and District manager
won't listen to my information about MF and their methods, so that's a
dead horse, please don't beat it.)

As I type it's midnight Friday/Saturday.  On Thursday night a shipment of
kits came in from one of our stores.  (To make transit time shorter we have
all the kits dropped at one of our stores, then managers go to pick them
up.) The woman TOLD staff in my store that one of the kits we got had a
prolapsed rectum (PR) and would probably need to go to the vet.  Well,
nothing was done Thursday, and Friday morning I went in to work.  No one
said a word to me about the kit, either.  I did my usual quick check up
on the babies...sexing them, making sure they're hydrated, have no
stitches/scabs, make sure they're eating properly, guesstimating age
(rather easy when they just have milkteeth and the very starting of double
teeth showing) looking out for giveaways to deafness (Blazes/pandas/dews)
and checking bottoms for PR.  The last kit I checked I saved for last on
purpose.  She's a dark silver/chocolate blaze with mitts, roaning, and some
neat markings on her belly.  She's deaf, no clicker, squeeky toy, or noise
I made got her attention.  AND she has a moderately severe PR.  The
mananger and District Manager both looked at her, and said that the surgery
isn't worth it.....a $100 surgery for a $50 critter.  "Place her," they
said.  Like there was ANYONE else who would take her!  I wouldn't LET
anyone else at her!

I used Vaseline and put a little pressure on her poor bottom with the flat
of my thumb (clean of course) and things turned rightside in.  Then she
pooped and out it popped.  So more Vaseline and in again.  I called my vet
and told him what it looked like.  He said to try all night with the
Vaseline, get Preparation H in the morning, and if by Saturday night she
wasn't doing MUCH better, he'd meet me at the night clinic and stitch her.
Well, tonight with just the Vaseline, and a wonderful liquidy diet of Bob
C's gravy, she's pooped 3 times, and the button popped only once, after the
second poopie.

She curls up and sleeps in the palm of my hand, she's so tiny, and weighs
less than a can of Pepsi.  I am going to get some pictures of her next to
Archie, my 3 pound giant.  It's amusing.  (Can ya tell that ALL my ferrets,
rescues and otherwise are MF?  3 pounds is huge to me.)

So for now, the ferret count is up to 13.  If she stays, we'll HAVE to
adopt another ferret from Kim at KiSta, since 14 is my favorite number.
(That's a BIG if....I KNOW I can't keep all the homeless helpless dumped
ferrets, but I try!  LOL)

I had to tell someone who understands.  I know you all understand.  Try
explaining to your totally "Un animal" mother in law (smother in law)
exactly WHY you would willingly put your finger on a ferret's butt.  It
doesn't work.

Good night to all, and to all a good night.

Melissa "I am NOT anal!"