From:
Kymberlie Becker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Jan 1998 21:04:59 -0500
Jan and FMLers:

Very good post, Jan.  I've worried before what would happen to my fur-kids
should anything happen to me.  I'm married, but as many of my FML friends
know, as much as I love my husband and won't trade him in now, he would not
be my first choice to take care of my ferrets <g>.  (A word to the young and
unmarried...before you let that special someone put a ring on your
finger...or put a ring on someone's finger...watch closely their reaction to
ferret kisses and poopie scooping.  It will certainly fortell your harmony
as a married couple.  It's a much greater foretelling than how well he/she
kisses!  <big grin>)

I encourage everyone on this list to make accomodations now.  If you do not
have close relationships with anyone who you feel would be good caretakers
of your furkids, you must find someone.  If we're just talking about
ferrets, you may find success in contacting your local ferret shelter.  Ask
them if they will allow you to name them as the guardians of your ferrets
should anything happen to you.  I don't know that all shelters would do
this, but my shelter certainly does, and we respect all wishes you might
have in placement (pairs, do-not-separates, must go to dogless home, etc.)
If you also have cats and other pets, and still have nobody to care for
them, see if there is a no-kill humane society in your area that you trust
to care for them.

There is another aspect of this discussion, though, that even *I* did not
think about until just recently.  It does no good to simply designate *who*
your pets go to, if they know nothing about your pets.  What if one or some
of your pets are on medication, or must eat a certain diet?  Or, on a lesser
(but just as important to your fuzzy) note, what about that one special
ferret that just has to have his three raisins a day before bedtime?
Wouldn't you want whoever was to care for this ferret to know this?  I
would.

Put in writing very specifically your intentions concerning your pets, and
don't forget to update this document often.  Make sure there are several
copies, spread among family and loved ones (preferably at least one person
who you know will be emotionally strong enough in the case of tragedy to
actually understand that the welfare of your pets can NOT wait until human
grieving periods have run their course.  In this document, state
specifically who is to be in charge of each of your pets, and any special
instructions.  Make sure there are descriptions of each ferret- think about
it.  Do your friends and family know that sable number one with the darker
legs is Weezil and the one with the tip of white on the tail is Woozle?
Also with this document, you should provide instructions on finding
veterinary records and history, etc.  (and who your vet is...we all know
that not just ANY vet will do) And, if you are in a financial position to do
so, you can set money aside in a special account or safe-deposit box, so
that the person(s) in charge of taking care of your pets will not have to
take on this burden.

I truly hope nobody ever needs this information to be used in this way, but
I know for sure that I want people to know how to care for my pets should
anything happen to me.

One sort of un-related note: a wonderful (ferret friendly) SPCA in
Clearfield County, PA, has a program they have going where they ask people
to consider in their wills to donate some of their money to the SPCA in the
event of their death.  It sounds horribly morbid, but it's also a nice
gesture.  If you are financially secure, and would like to help animals
after you're gone, you can make provisions for money to go to the shelter of
your choice.  You can also request that after you're gone, in lieu of
flowers, donations be sent to the shelter of your choice.  This is a
controversial subject, and I mean to offend nobody.  However this is
something that *I* personally feel I need to do; I'm living my life caring
for animals, and I don't want that to stop once I'm gone.

I hope my suggestions help in some way!

Kymberlie Becker Barone
Director, Pennsylvania Ferret Rescue Association
"Forget Puppy Love...There's nothing Greater than Ferret Love!" TM
http://home.sprynet.com/sprynet/ferretlady