Date:
Fri, 4 Dec 1998 19:12:44 +1300
Last night was one of those nights, a VERY long night with a middle of the
night visit to the vet for one of my jills whose condition had downgraded
from 'stable but needing vet' to deaths door within hours.  While I was
there, I decided to take my other jill, Baby, who was almost four days
overdue to deliver her kits.

While the vet checked on my other jill, Baby was determined to escape.  She
was full of energy, and if it weren't for her kit filled bulge ( ;o) ) she
wouldn't even be considered to be pregnant, let alone overdue.  After
working with my other jill, the vet checked on Baby.  He very quickly
pronounced "Well she's definitely pregnant!!" and commented that the kits
felt healthy and couldn't see any problems.

Upon arriving home (by this time it was past midnight) I settled the
ferrets into their cages, closed the room, and left to check my mail.  By
the time I shut down for the night it was 1.30.  Passing the ferrets room I
heard "squeaking" Just over an hour after seeing the vet, Baby had started
delivering her kits.  This morning, a total count of nine kits were
squawking loudly enough to wake the dead!

Now, early evening, nine kits are snuggled up with their mama.  THIS is
what breeding is about.  Not the money (that is lost in breeding)  It's
seeing the jills caring for their babies, it's watching as the kits get out
of the nest box for the first time, it's watching the kits in the food bowl
bathing in their 'mush', and the jill looking exasperated as she cleans
them.  It's watching the kits go to their new homes, and hearing about
their progress.  THAT is the essence of breeding.

Sam