From:
sukie crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 23 Jan 2005 14:10:05 -0500
Well, it took six months for Hilbert to regain his fur in his shaved
areas and to regain his weight after almost losing him to bilateral
hydronephrosis (caused by urinary blockage from stones that were at least
partly caused by a bladder deformity (bladder diverticulum) in which the
normal fetal tube which connects the fetal bladder to the placenta did
not retract and smooth out the way it should.

Here's a photo of him now:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/esc/3691980/
If that doesn't work try
http://tingilinde.typepad.com/starstuff/2005/01/hilbert_the_mos.html
and click on the small photo.

He was a very sick little guy.  Our vet says he was the hardest save
he's ever had.

BTW, an important thing tried with Hilbert which was not expected to
work but did (and originally was just being done till he could have a
PU which he then turned out not to need): repeated cystos allowed the
urolith sludge in his urethra to dislodge and the inflammation to go
down.

Oh, and we found out that the ability to concentrate urine is the figure
to watch the most of the urine numbers, and when Morney got her cystine
urolith soon after we found out just how much easier females with this
problem are to manage.

Sukie
who just heard the sad news (no details yet) that Johnny Carson died.
Talk about a real friend of astronomy, and a very funny man who was
excellent at helping others talk... He lived in NYC and in Belle Terre
on LI (up the hill from Port Jeff) when the show was done in NYC.