From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Mar 2006 16:06:25 -0500
An FML member who has trouble typing has asked me to request information
to help her ferret and herself.  Permission to send this post has already
been forwarded to Bill Gruber, list moderator, despite the fact that I am
not quoting.

The individual has a lively, deaf ferret who is about a year old, but she
has developed extremely painful and limiting arthritis, especially in her
hands, though her feet are not great, by the sounds of it.

She is seeking play suggestions for the ferret, ferret interaction
activities for people with limited mobility, and interactive play
suggestions for both of them.

Steve and I sent her two posts with some suggestions, but I am certain
there are others out there.

Also, I know that there are other people here with similar situations
who could be helped by trading information on this topic.

PLEASE, POST your suggestions publicly on the FML to help all.

These are the few suggestions we had so far but I know the good folks
here will come up with more and better, esp. those who have been in
the same sort of position:

What about modifying the toy mousie on a string game so that the pole
was thick but light weight (bamboo?  a wrap?)?  Would that help or
would the pulling involved be painful?

If too painful then is there a way to work up something that you could
interact with but not hold like having the mousie on a string or length
of elastic and you having a thick and light weight pole that you could
knock the cord with?

You could tap a tunnel when that the ferret is using because the
vibration should work then.  Also try tunnel game with a flashlight.

How about using things that smell?  One of our's has sight and hearing
but neither is great so we put a safe rose scent on a toy on a string.

See if the ferret likes to jump on bubblewrap when a mousie on a string
is being used.

Try placing treats in places where the ferret has to climb to get them
after letting the ferret sniff the treat.

Also: overturned boxes or lightweight basins that they can run in blind
(dalek), or with a hole cut out for head (turtle, as per Bob Church's
later fun variation on the game), a digging box, a box with large shooter
marbles and an assortment of balls of different weights, a flat bottomed,
see-through water bowl to snorkle in or dig...

-- Sukie (not a vet, and not speaking for any of the below in my
   private posts)
Recommended health resources to help ferrets and the people who love them:
Ferret Health List
FHL Archives
http://ferrethealth.org/archive/
AFIP Ferret Pathology
http://www.afip.org/ferrets/index.html
Miamiferrets
http://www.miamiferret.org/fhc/
International Ferret Congress Critical References
http://www.ferretcongress.org