From:
"Michael F. Janke" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 31 Dec 1999 14:30:22 -0500
>So, my problem is when he's having these seizures, should I continue to
>just give the karo syrup and hold him?  And when he appears comatose,
>which he does on occasion, what should I do????  I just hold him for now
>because he doesn't respond to anything.

Corn syrup usually works fairly well, but it should be followed by a high
protein meal once Oscar is over the episode.  If he's unconcious, rub the
karo syrup on his gums.  It'll be absorbed and help bring him around.  But
I think you should concentrate on how to avoid the seizures.

I'm curious as to how your vet knows it's not insulinoma?  Is it because
of the results of the x-rays?  The tumors in the pancreas are often
microscopic and aren't necessarily seen even by direct examination.  Also,
you did not mention what his blood glucose level was other than to say it
was low.  Was this checked?  Anything below 70mg/dl is almost a sure sign
of Insulinoma.

How much pred is Oscar on?  Pred definitely will not hurt him and it's
certainly a LOT better than constant seizures.  My Beasley has been on pred
for almost two years now with no harmful side effects... other than he's
gotten a bit fat from it.

The seizures really shouldn't be happening and you need to get more
aggressive with treatment.  Is he eating regular, high protein meals?  Are
you absolutely sure?  If he's not eating at least every four hours, this
will contribute to hypoglycemia and resulting seizures.

If he's been on pred for a while and it's no longer effective at the
maximum dose, you should consider Diazoxide (Proglycem).  It's pretty
expensive stuff but works well in most ferrets to reduce the insulin output
and thereby up his blood glucose levels.  Pred dosages can often be reduced
when you begin treating with Diazoxide.  Surgery is also very effective if
done early.  A partial pancreatectomy seems to return the best results.

As a point of reference, my Beasley has had Insulinoma for almost two years
now.  He has never had a seizure.  Not one.  I feed him a small amount of
chicken baby food and A/D mix four times a day.  He's also up to 0.4ml
Pedia-pred (5mg/5ml) twice a day, which is not a terribly large dose.
While he's not the most active little guy, he seems happy and playful when
he is up and only twice has exhibited hypersalivation.  Granted, not every
ferret has the same level of the problem.

For the ferrets,
Mike

* Michael F. Janke, [log in to unmask]
* Secretary, South Florida Ferret Club & Rescue
* A 501(c)3 not-for-profit corporation
*
* Shelter web site:  http://www.miamiferret.org
* Adrenal/Insulinoma web site: http://www.miamiferret.org/fhc