From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Apr 2003 21:45:37 -0400
http://www.smartgroups.com/message/readmessage.cfm?gid=1423922&messageid=4227

>Willow has a lump (just under 1/2 inch diameter) between the 2 nipples
>that are furthest towards her front legs.  The lump seems to be close to
>the skin/ muscle layer, not far into the abdomen.  The vet suggested it
>could be a hernia and to keep an eye on it?  It doesn't hurt Willow when
>you touch the lump.  Willow will be 2 years old this summer and was
>spayed beginning of last year.

Unless your vet is certain that it is a hernia, I'd get an aspirate done.
I recently saw a one year old ferret with a similar sounding lump that I
aspirated and removed immediately as the aspirate was very cellular.  It
turned out to be a fibrosarcoma, a pretty malignant type of cancer, but
since it was caught early on, the ferret has a good chance to do well.

A needle aspirate is pretty inexpensive, doesn't hurt the ferret and is a
great tool for diagnosis.

Dr. Ruth
Find it. Fix it. And fly again.