From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Jun 1998 14:02:00 -0400
Re: ulcers.  My non-vet bet is it would most likely pay to treat for
helicobacter first and use one of the medication "bandages" like Carafate.

Have seen some nasty responses to long term Pred use: muscle wasting,
immune system suppression, etc.  It's a good med, and it definitely should
be used when needed, but don't rule out things like helicobacter treatments,
Proglycem for insulinoma, serious chemo like the Jeglum Protocol in a
strong ferret in it's peak years with lympho, Lysodren for some inoperable
adrenals, and other approaches.

BTW, don't be surprised when I mention "adrenal" in relation to 'Chopper
now.  She had a "possible" but the symptoms are more and more adrenal so we
are all leaning that way without worrying about a firm diagnosis.  Given her
other medical problems -- cardiomyopathy, and nutrient absorbsion problems
from intestinal damage during ECE being the serious ones -- an adrenal is in
the noise for quality of life and quantity so we just will keep her comfy.
Fortunately, some of her problems (and medicine delivery needs) require that
she have some Ferretone, Efa-Z, vitamins, and AD each day so her skin is not
having horrid adrenal dry-skin itchies.  This ferret gets one PILE of meds,
but they are giving her a longer and happier life, and she only objects to
two of them.  Her latest helicobacter bout is knocked down again, thank
goodness!  She never was able to get back on her feet decently again after
ECE; it just had too great a toll.  She looks ancient (like an old 8, or a 9
year old), but she's only going to be 7 in few weeks.  Still kisses a person
raw, though!

Sukie (who had a fun day yesterday after being given a huge bouquet of
balloons, walking around and giving them out one by one to total strangers
for free -- so many smiles -- and who now wants to someday do that on a
college campus with about $500 worth of carnations -- wow)