From:
Sandy Streit <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Feb 1996 12:07:20 PST
We just discovered our son Bandit (1 yr-old neutered male) has glaucoma.

On Sat, we attended the monthly meeting of the Ore. Ferret Assoc.  We make
it a point to attend because it gives us a chance to socialize and learn,
and our 2 ferrets really enjoy meeting other ferrets.  When Chris Mathis
(pres) came by to give Bandit a greeting, she stopped short.  She thought
one of Bandit's eyes looked larger than the other.  I didn't see a
difference, but I see him every day.  My SO is an optometrist and became
very concerned.  Bandit gave no indication of being bothered by the eye.

On Mon we went to our regular vet.  He took an X-ray.  No infected tooth or
sign of a tumor.  After an extensive exam, he came to the conclusion that
the lens of the eye did not appear to be in the correct position.  (At this
point, I must apologize for how I'm wording this.  Since my SO is an
optometrist, the talk got too technical for me to follow, and I'm having
trouble finding the right words.  I tend to think in pictures and am having
a problem putting the descriptions into words) Bandit was a stoic little
guy.  He never tried to nip--I'm so proud of my brave boy.

We ran over to a vet. optomologist.  She was terrific, and my SO had a great
time seeing her equipment, which resembles his equipment, but much smaller.
Again the really technical talk resumed.  Bottom line--Bandit has a
congenital condition.  The lens has partially broken loose because the
collagen that holds it in place didn't form right or is weak.  (At this
point they discussed Marfan's syndrome) Bandit's vitreous is liquid--it
should be a jelly.  His eye still responds to light, which implies he is not
blind in that eye.  We are giving eyedrops to reduce the pressure in the eye
(same stuff as humans get).  We return next week for a follow-up.  I
understand there is a surgery that can be done if the pressure doesn't
decrease.  We will monitor the other eye.

So here's a lesson:  Attending ferret meetings gives the added benefit of
having someone else see your "children".  They may see a potential health
problem you may not notice because it develops so slowly you may not see it
in time.

Bandit is a cheerful, happy guy.  This has not slowed him one bit.  As for
my SO, he's trying to figure-out how he can get Bandit to sit in his exam
chair and put his chin on the slit-lamp, plus where can he find an eye chart
with raisins, sox, and squeaky toys on it.  We are also wondering if Bandit
goes blind if we will be able to find a seeing-eye rat.

Sandy Streit