Date:
Wed, 10 Sep 2008 17:02:52 -0500
Hello, all! The most exciting upcoming event is the 2008 symposium on
Nov. 7-9 in Pittsburgh. Although this is a time of economic hardship
for many, this can be a relatively inexpensive break for you to meet
new friends and visit with old ones. Let me share with you a little of
what this costs. A complete schedule and all links and forms can be
found at http://ferretcongress.org. One thing I am really excited about
is that this year there will be an open vending session and the public
will be invited to purchase from the vendors onsite! How cool is that?

The cost of the symposium is $185 and includes 3 breakfasts and 2
lunches. There is an optional speaker's dinner for $40 one night and
the other night has a reception. That leaves lunch Sunday that is not
covered in the cost. We also have snacks in the morning and afternoon
each day. So, you will not need to pay for much else on top of the
actual symposium.

As far as the travel and hotel bills go, the hotel is at the airport
and there is a free shuttle. The hotel is the Holiday Inn Pittsburgh
Airport, 8256 University Blvd., Coraopolis, PA 15108-2591, Phone:
412-262-3600 or 800-333-4835, Fax: 412-631-1355. You must make
your reservations directly with the hotel. Be sure to mention the
International Ferret Congress for best rates or go to the Holiday Inn
Pittsburgh Airport website (http://www.hipittsburgh.com/index.asp). A
limited number of rooms are available at the special rate of $95 for
single or double rooms, Nov. 4 - 10. You must book by October 14, 2008
to take advantage of this rate. The Holiday Inn is allowing ferrets in
the rooms by special arrangement for a non-refundable fee of $25.

This symposium will not be as expensive as either Toronto or Portland.
Details are at ferretcongress.org and the schedule is now up. The room
is $95/day. For 3 nights that is about $150 IF you share a room. The
registration is $185. That is about $315. If you add the dinner ($40),
it is about $360. So, yes, you can spend $600 - 700 for the trip, but
there is going to be a travel charge anywhere you go.

The setup is long tables so you can take notes. People are very
friendly and there are a lot of freebies that sponsors give away.
There are also lots of raffles and doorprizes. The symposium list
([log in to unmask]) allows people to visit BEFORE the
symposium so that you can make plans for the free time you will have. I
have also asked for those who want a roomie or someone to ride with to
write [log in to unmask] and we will try to get you matched up.

If you arrive on Thursday, there is the shelter benefit dinner. It is
free. You do not have to pay one penny for the event and you will meet
people and win a doorprize, too. There are lots of people from online
there and I will be there, too. I hope to meet you there.

--
Renee Downs
"Eventually we will realize that if we destroy the ecosystem we